Air Sports is a thrilling way to enjoy the outdoors and push physical and mental boundaries at the same time. Competitive air sports are becoming more popular worldwide, and India has been no exception. Therefore, in light of this growth, the government has proposed a National Air Sport Policy 2022. This policy would create guidelines and standards for air sports in India and aims to make India a global leader in air sports.
While there is some excitement about this proposal, many people are unsure whether it will be successful or not. If you seem interested in knowing what the future holds for air sports in India? Take a closer look at the National Air Sport Policy 2022 and find out!
What is the National Air Sport Policy 2022?
Jyotiraditya Scindia, Union Aviation Minister, presented a national air sports policy on June 7, 2022, intending to make India one of the top aero sports nations by 2030.
The National Air Sport Policy is a document that outlines the government’s vision for the development of the aviation sector in India. Also, the document sets out several objectives for the sector, including the promotion of air sports, the establishment of an aviation university, and the development of infrastructure to support the sector’s growth.
What Sports Fall Under the Category of Air Sports?
Various athletic competitions that take place in the air were included in the air sports. India, a growing nation, has the capacity to rise to the top of the air sports globe. India’s widespread geographical area, pleasant climate, and large population—of whom youngsters make up a sizable portion—can all help to promote air sports.
The policy covers a variety of sports, including
- Model rocketry and aerodynamic modelling.
- Experimental and home-built aircraft.
- Powered gliding and gliding.
- Powered hang gliding and hangs gliding.
- Parachuting (including skydiving, BASE jumping, wing suits, etc.)
- Paramotoring and paragliding (including powered parachute trikes etc.)
- Powered flight (including ultra-light, a microlight, light sports aircraft, etc.)
- Rotorcraft (including autogyro)
Advantages of the NASP 2022
The National Air Sport Policy provides many benefits for the aviation sector in India. It will help promote air sports in the country and establish an aviation university. This will help to improve the quality of education and training available to pilots and other aviation professionals in India. In addition, the policy will help to develop the infrastructure needed to support the growth of the aviation sector in India.
Overall, the National Air Sport Policy is a positive step for developing the aviation sector in India. It is not just a step in the right direction for aviation but also an exciting announcement that will positively affect India’s economy and society!
Some other advantages of the National Air Sport Policy include:
- Improved safety standards for air sports.
- The development of new aviation technologies.
- The promotion of tourism and economic development.
- The creation of new employment opportunities.
- The fostering of national pride and unity.
Objectives of the National Air Sport Policy 2022
To advance the country’s air sports sector by making it safe, economical, accessible, fun, and sustainable, the NASP 2022 seeks to build a framework. It outlines safety regulations and the consequences of breaking them.
- The primary objective of this Indian policy is to turn it into a top air sports nation by 2030.
- Create a straightforward, effective, and stakeholder-friendly governance system.
- In keeping with the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, encourage the design, development, and production of air sports equipment in India.
- Improve Indian athletes’ performance and participation in international air sports competitions.
- Cultivate a national culture of air sports.
- Enable the adoption of global best practices for safety, including infrastructure, gear, operations, maintenance, and training for air sports.
Key Highlights of the National Air Sport Policy:
Functions: It will oversee several facets of air sports, such as legislation, accreditation, competitions, prizes, and sanctions.
Four-tier Governance System: India’s air sports would be governed under a four-tier system: the Air Sports Federation of India (ASFI), the country’s top governing body, regional or state and union territory level affiliates of the national air sports associations, district-level air sports associations; and national associations for specific air sports or even a group of air sports.
Rules and Purposes of Each Association for Air Sports: Specify the company’s safety requirements for its tools, facilities, workers, and training programmes, as well as the disciplinary measures that will be implemented if they are not met. However, if this is not possible, the ASFI may take enforcement action.
ASFI: The ASFI will function independently from the Ministry of Civil Aviation and represent India at international air sports forums like the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), which has its headquarters in Lausanne. Moreover, it will be guided by the Secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
Safety Measures That the National Air Sport Policy 2022 Poses
Due to the increased danger involved with air sports, safety will be preserved by working with the Air Traffic Control division and designating specific air corridors as air sports-only zones.
- Air sports are more dangerous than flying in a standard aircraft by their very nature. Moreover, they serve as a testing ground for new safety protocols and aviation advancements.
- Each airline sports organisation must establish safety requirements for its specific air sport’s infrastructure, staff, training, and other factors as per international best practices. Also, it must outline the sanctions that will be applied in the event of deviations and purposeful non-compliance.
- No person or organisation engaged in air sports may obstruct a controlled aircraft’s right of way.
- The person or entity responsible for reporting an accident involving an air sports activity must do so in writing, together with a copy to the ASFI, no later than 48 hours after the accident occurs. If this is not done, there may be consequences.
- If an air sports association fails to uphold safety standards, the ASFI may take legal action against the association, including monetary fines, suspension, or termination.
Even though there is a lot of promise in the country, given the variety of attractive places and the frequent developments in numerous fields, the aero sports business has expressed its disappointment time and again that the government is not doing enough to promote it in India.
Undoubtedly, the National Air Sport Policy 2022 is a step in the right direction for India to lead in the aviation sector. It covers a variety of sports, including aerobatics, model rocketry, and aerodynamic modelling. Finally, this policy will also help promote air sports among the youth of India and make the country a top destination for air sports.