Table of Contents
When you’re in the market for a new car in India, fuel efficiency isn’t just a feature—it’s a necessity. With the cost of fuel constantly on the rise, it’s no wonder that diesel cars, known for their superior mileage, are often the go-to choice for savvy car buyers.
Among the plethora of options, the best mileage diesel cars stand out, promising to stretch every litre of fuel further. It’s crucial to note that while the ARAI-certified fuel efficiency figures are a solid benchmark, real-world performance is what truly matters. Luckily, we’ve got the lowdown on the top contenders that blend economy with performance.
Kia Seltos Diesel Car
When you’re in the market for a diesel car that balances performance with fuel efficiency, the Kia Seltos stands out. It’s got a 1.5-liter CRDi VGT diesel engine under the hood, with a displacement of 1493 cc, delivering not just power but also remarkable mileage.
The Seltos is designed for those who don’t want to compromise on adventure or family needs. With a seating capacity of five and a robust fuel tank that holds 50 liters, you’re geared up for long drives without the frequent fuel stops. Moreover, its fuel efficiency of up to 20.8 km/l makes it one of the most economical SUVs to run.
Let’s delve into the features that make the Seltos a top choice:
- Ground Clearance: It provides an ample climb of 190 mm, giving you the confidence to tackle those rough roads without a hitch.
- Interior: Stepping inside, you’ll find a feature-rich cabin with high-quality materials and a design that’s both modern and sophisticated. The Seltos caters to comfort and style, making every drive a pleasure.
- Safety Features: Safety isn’t taken lightly in the Seltos. It’s equipped with the latest safety technologies, ensuring peace of mind on every journey.
- Mileage: As mentioned before, the Kia Seltos promises impressive mileage, proving to be a wise choice for diesel car buyers.
Keep these highlights in mind when you consider the Kia Seltos. Its combination of efficiency, comfort, and performance places it high on the list for anyone looking for the best mileage diesel car in India.
Mahindra XUV300 Diesel Car
When exploring the best mileage diesel cars in India, the Mahindra XUV300 deserves a spot on your list. This compact SUV has garnered attention for its fuel efficiency as well as its bold design and robust features. Despite its relatively late entry into the competitive segment, the XUV300 makes a compelling case with its impressive fuel efficiency and array of features.
Performance and Mileage
Under the hood, the Mahindra XUV300 is equipped with a 1.5L turbo-diesel engine that doesn’t hold back on power. Generating 300 Nm of torque and 115 BHP, it delivers a blend of responsive performance and practical fuel consumption. With an ARAI-certified mileage of approximately 20 km/l, you’re looking at a diesel car that promises to go easy on your wallet when it comes to fuel spendings.
- Ground Clearance: With 180 mm of clearance, the XUV300 is well-suited to tackle the challenges of Indian roads, from unexpected potholes to the occasional off-road detour.
- Interior: The cabin impresses with its spaciousness and a range of up-to-date features, including a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, dual-zone climate control, and a premium finish that elevates the driving experience.
- Safety Features: Mahindra hasn’t skimped on safety with the XUV300. It’s equipped with 7 airbags, ABS with EBD, front and rear parking sensors, and first-in-segment features like 4-disc brakes—all contributing to a reassuringly safe drive.
- Mileage: The hallmark of a vehicle with best-in-class fuel efficiency, the XUV300’s ARAI figure confirms its place as a top contender for cost-conscious drivers.
Through the combination of efficiency, safety, and comfort, the Mahindra XUV300 diesel car stands out as a top choice for those who desire the perks of an SUV without compromising on mileage. Whether you’re commuting in the city or planning a weekend getaway, the XUV300’s attributes are hard to overlook.
Mahindra Bolero Diesel Car
When you’re scouring the market for a vehicle that can handle both the rough terrains and the urban chaos with equal ease, you’ll likely come across the Mahindra Bolero. This diesel workhorse is known for its rugged build and go-anywhere attitude. With a 1.5L mHAWK75 diesel engine, the Bolero doesn’t just promise endurance but also delivers on mileage, a crucial factor in your decision-making process.
However, it’s not just the durability that makes the Bolero stand out; it’s well-equipped with features that enhance comfort and safety on Indian roads. As you dive further into its specifications, you’ll find that Mahindra didn’t skimp on crucial aspects like:
- Ground Clearance: With a generous clearance, the Bolero effortlessly tackles speed bumps and uneven roads without the underside taking a hit.
- Interior: Inside, the Bolero offers a no-frills, functional cabin that can withstand the rigours of daily use. The space is optimal for seating family or groups, making it ideal for both personal and commercial usage.
- Safety Features: Equipped with essential safety features such as ABS, airbags, and a reinforced steel body, the Bolero is built with passenger and driver safety in mind.
- Mileage: The Bolero’s efficiency is notable, providing a practical balance between its power output and fuel consumption.
What sets the Bolero apart is its status as a multi-utility vehicle, not just in urban landscapes but also in rural regions where road conditions are unpredictable. Its ability to double up as a passenger carrier and a cargo mover renders it versatile, which is a significant advantage if you’re looking for a diesel car that can do more than just commute.
The Bolero’s ruggedness comes with the dependability of Mahindra’s nationwide service network. This gives you the comfort of easy maintenance and serviceability, ensuring that your Bolero is always ready for the long haul. The diesel variants of this model are particularly appealing to those seeking a vehicle that combines strength, space, and savings on fuel.
Driving through city streets or navigating country roads, the Mahindra Bolero diesel doesn’t just carry people; it carries the trust of thousands of Indian drivers who rely on its stalwart presence through various journeys.
Hyundai Verna Diesel Car
When eyeing the best mileage diesel cars in India, the Hyundai Verna comes off as a top contender. Not only is the car laden with features that spell sophistication and comfort, but it also hits the sweet spot with its fuel efficiency. Hyundai has fine-tuned the 1.5-litre diesel engine to deliver a power of 115 ps and a noteworthy torque of 250 Nm. This efficient engine ensures you get the most out of every litre with the Verna offering an ARAI-certified fuel efficiency of 21.3 km/l for automatic variants and an impressive 25 km/l for manuals.
The Verna’s appeal also lies in its versatility. Available in both manual and automatic transmissions, you get to pick what suits your driving style the best. The diesel models stand out, not just for their engine performance but also for the plethora of features geared towards an enhanced driving experience.
- Ground Clearance: Adequate for city drives and mild off-road ventures.
- Interior: Ergonomically designed with a premium feel, featuring a wireless phone charger and smart trunk.
- Safety Features: Strong emphasis on safety with advanced features to provide peace of mind.
- Mileage: Varies between 21.3 km/l to 25 km/l depending on the transmission choice.
What sets it apart further is its integration with Hyundai’s Blue Link, a personal mobility assistant that pushes the Verna into the future. Paddle shifters, an electric sunroof, and a host of other features make every drive in a Verna more than just a commute – they transform it into an experience.
One cannot discuss the Verna without mentioning its engine upgrade – the 1.5l U2 CRDi engine that roars to life with a maximum power of 113.45bhp at 4000rpm and a maximum torque of 250nm between 1500 – 2750rpm. It’s not just about power; it’s also about smoothness and responsiveness that you can feel at every press of the pedal.
|Hyundai Verna Diesel Models
|Hyundai Verna DSL S
Toyota Etios Diesel Car
When you’re on the hunt for diesel cars that blend efficiency with performance, the Toyota Etios shouldn’t be overlooked. Known for its dependability, the Etios offers a practical choice for daily commutes and long journeys alike.
The Etios diesel variant is powered by a 1.4-litre D-4D engine that churns out 68 PS of power and 170 Nm of torque. It’s paired with a 5-speed manual transmission, ensuring a smooth driving experience. But what truly makes the Etios stand out is its fuel efficiency. Toyota claims an impressive figure of 23.59 km/l, which means fewer stops at fuel stations and more savings in your pocket.
Ensuring a comfortable ride, the Etios provides 170 mm of ground clearance. You won’t have to worry about the rough patches or speed bumps on Indian roads. The interior of the Etios is designed with usability in mind, offering ample cabin space and practical features that elevate your driving experience.
Safety isn’t compromised either. The car comes equipped with dual-front SRS airbags, ABS with EBD, and ISOFIX child seat mounts as standard across all variants. You’ll feel secure knowing that the Etios doesn’t just deliver on efficiency, but also on keeping you and your loved ones safe.
Here’s a snapshot of the Etios Diesel’s features:
- Ground Clearance: 170 mm
- Interior: Spacious cabin with practical storage solutions
- Safety Features: Dual front SRS airbags, ABS with EBD, ISOFIX
- Mileage: 23.59 km/l (claimed)
The Etios sits competitively in the market with its pricing, starting from Rs. 7.6 lakh going up to Rs. 9.13 lakh (ex-showroom). The blend of Toyota’s quality promise with the costs saved through exceptional fuel efficiency makes the Etios a desirable diesel car for Indian consumers.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Diesel Car
When you’re assessing the best diesel cars in India for mileage, the Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire demands attention. Its impressive fuel efficiency of 28.4 km/l is a testament to Maruti Suzuki’s engineering, making it a strong contender in the market. And it’s not just the ARAI that sings its praises; even in real-world conditions, Autocar’s overall test shows an admirable 19.3 km/l efficiency. That’s the kind of mileage that promises to keep your wallet happy at the fuel pump.
Key Features of Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Diesel
Beyond just mileage, the Swift Dzire brings a range of desirable features to the table. If you delve into the car’s specs, you’ll find:
- Engine Performance: Its 75hp 1.3-litre DDiS diesel engine connects seamlessly with a lightweight body, delivering not just fuel efficiency but also responsive performance.
- Interior and Comfort: Step inside and you’ll be greeted by a roomy cabin that belies the compact exterior. The Swift Dzire is equipped to ensure that your drives are comfortable and your passengers, content.
- Safety First: Safety features haven’t taken a back seat. From ABS with EBD to dual front airbags, it’s clear that this car takes your well-being seriously.
- After-Sales Support: Owning a Swift Dzire means you’ll have access to Maruti’s excellent after-sales network, an invaluable asset over the life of your vehicle.
|Mileage (ARAI Certified)
|Rs 6.72 – 9.58 lakh
The price range of the Swift Dzire starts from Rs 6.72 lakh and scales up to Rs 9.58 lakh, propositioning itself as a value-for-money investment in the long run. This isn’t just a car that’s cost-effective at the outset but continues to save you money through its lifecycle. With an attractive price tag and extraordinary mileage, the Swift Dzire doesn’t make you choose between practicality and pleasure.
Honda Amaze Diesel Car
When considering the best mileage diesel cars in India, you can’t overlook the Honda Amaze. Equipped with a 1.5 L iDTEC diesel engine, the Amaze is a powerhouse that doesn’t compromise on efficiency, delivering an overall impressive 25.8 kmpl. Although some users have expressed concerns regarding NVH levels, this compact sedan remains a top contender in its segment.
Performance and Mileage
The robust iDTEC engine of the Honda Amaze churns out 99 BHP and 200 Nm of torque, coupled with a 6-speed manual gearbox that ensures smooth shifting and a comfortable drive. Moreover, its notable fuel efficiency is a significant draw for mileage-conscious buyers in India.
Dimensions and Capacity
Honda’s design mastery is evident in the dimensions and capacities of the Amaze:
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 3990 x 1680 x 1505 mm
- Kerb Weight: 1065 kgs
- Boot Space: An ample 400 litres
The car also features a manageable kerb weight and a generous boot space that makes it practical for both daily commutes and weekend getaways.
The Amaze comes equipped with a range of features designed for comfort, convenience, and safety:
- Ground Clearance: A height capable of handling Indian road conditions
- Interior: Premium finishes and an ergonomic design for enhanced driving pleasure
- Wheel Type and Size: 14-inch alloys that complement its sleek look
- Safety Features: Advanced safety technology for peace of mind on the road
Despite the slight premium price tag, the Honda Amaze justifies its cost with these features, coupled with its remarkable fuel efficiency.
Price continues to be a pivotal factor for buyers, and the Honda Amaze sits in the premium segment, with a price bracket of Rs. 7.00–9.10 lakh. Yet, its economical fuel consumption and the array of features it offers to make it a worthwhile investment for discerning buyers looking for a blend of luxury and efficiency.
Ford Figo Diesel Car
Exploring the realm of diesel efficiency, you’ll find the Ford Figo claiming its position with a robust 1.5 L TDCi diesel engine. Despite Ford concluding production in India, their legacy persists, notably with the Figo’s impressive fuel economy. This car isn’t just about saving pennies at the pump; 100 ps power and 215 Nm torque underpin its responsive performance.
|Ford Figo Specifications
|Dimensions (L x W x B)
|3886 x 1695 x 1525 mm
|Wheel Type and Size
|1.5 L Diesel
|25.83 kpl (claimed)
|Rs. 5.63 – 7.18 lakh
Diving into details, the eye-catching design of the Ford Figo goes hand in hand with a high ground clearance, making it suitable for varying road conditions. Inside, comfort meets convenience with features designed to enhance your driving experience. Safety isn’t compromised either, with latest installations ensuring your peace of mind during every journey.
In terms of features, the Ford Figo delivers:
- Ground Clearance: Ample height to tackle rough terrains without compromising undercarriage safety.
- Interior Design: A cabin that balances aesthetics with functionality, offering a seamless interface for the driver.
- Safety Features: Equipped with airbags, ABS with EBD, and more to safeguard you and your passengers.
- Mileage: Highlighting its wallet-friendly nature, the Figo offers around 24 km/litre, making it an ideal choice for daily commuters and long-distance travellers alike.
Though Ford has stepped back from the Indian manufacturing scene, they ensure the Figo’s maintenance support, allowing you to consider it as a viable option on your quest for a fuel-efficient diesel vehicle that doesn’t skimp on power or lavish features.
Comparison of mileage and features
When considering a new vehicle, mileage and features are two crucial elements that can sway your decision. You’ll weigh these aspects as you delve into the realms of sedan and hatchback offerings. Let’s compare several popular diesel models on the Indian market today.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire vs Hyundai Verna
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Mileage: Expect up to 28.4KM/L
- Ground Clearance: A moderate 163 mm
- Interior: Dual-tone scheme, comfortable seating
- Safety Features: Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, ISOFIX
The Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire remains a favorite for its remarkable fuel efficiency. It boasts a spacious interior with a dual-tone scheme that offers a welcoming and comfortable ride. Safety isn’t taken for granted with dual airbags and ABS with EBD as standard, catering to family-oriented buyers prioritizing cost-effective traveling.
- Mileage: Up to 25KM/L for manual transmission
- Ground Clearance: Sits at 165 mm
- Interior: Premium feel with ventilated seats
- Safety Features: Six airbags, smart trunk, Blue Link
Hyundai Verna takes the edge with a marginally higher ground clearance and a more upscale interior including ventilated seats, a feature you’ll adore in India’s climate. Its comprehensive safety package with six airbags ensures peace of mind. With an option for a manual transmission, the Verna also offers impressive mileage, making it a strong contender against the Swift Dzire.
Toyota Etios vs Ford Figo
- Mileage: Up to 23.59KM/L
- Ground Clearance: Generous at 174 mm
- Interior: Functional with adequate comfort
- Safety Features: Dual airbags, ABS with EBD standard
The Toyota Etios is recognized for its no-nonsense approach. Its sufficient ground clearance makes it practical for varied Indian terrains. The interior sticks to basics but doesn’t compromise on comfort. Safety is given due attention with essential features like dual airbags and ABS with EBD.
- Mileage: Reaches up to 24.4KM/L
- Ground Clearance: A practical 174 mm
- Interior: Modern touches with a touchscreen infotainment
- Safety Features: Up to 6 airbags, rainsensing wipers
The Ford Figo, with a 1.5L TDCi diesel engine, comes across as a fuel-efficient hatchback with impressive power. It matches the Etios in ground clearance and takes a step further in the interior stakes with a modern touchscreen infotainment system. It shines in safety features, offering up to six airbags, ensuring you travel with the highest level of security.
Honda Amaze vs Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Mileage: Proficient at up to 24.7KM/L
- Ground Clearance: Handy at 170 mm
- Interior: Spacious with a premium feel
- Safety Features: Standard dual airbags, ABS with EBD
The Honda Amaze is a well-rounded sedan offering reasonable fuel efficiency. It features a spacious interior that exudes a more premium feel compared to some of its competitors. The 170 mm ground clearance is adaptable to most road conditions, while safety measures, including ABS with EBD and dual airbags, maintain its appeal as a family-friendly vehicle.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire (Referenced Above)
The Swift Dzire counters with outstanding mileage which is notably higher than the Amaze. It’s the go-to option for those who prioritize fuel economy above all else but still desire a car that delivers ample comfort and required safety features.
Each car brings a blend of economy and features, offering something for every buyer. Whether you prioritise ground clearance for rugged roads, interior ambience for your family’s comfort, safety features for peace of mind, or mileage for cost-efficient drives, the decision rests in your balance of preferences.
Tips for maximizing fuel efficiency in a diesel car
Maintaining Proper Tyre Pressure
Ensuring your tyres are inflated to the manufacturer-recommended pressure is one of the simplest ways to improve your car’s fuel efficiency. Under-inflated tyres create more rolling resistance, which means your engine has to work harder to maintain speed. By regularly checking and maintaining proper tyre pressure, you’ll not only boost your fuel economy but also prolong the life of your tyres.
Regular Servicing and Engine Tuning
Diesel engines, while known for efficiency, still require regular maintenance to perform at their best. Adhering to the service schedule and ensuring timely engine tuning will keep your car running smoothly, thereby optimizing fuel consumption. Replacing air filters, using the correct grade of oil, and timely maintenance of the fuel injection system are all critical for maximizing efficiency.
Avoiding Unnecessary Idling
Idling for long periods is a significant fuel waster. When you’re parked and waiting, it’s more fuel-efficient to turn off the engine rather than letting it run. Restarting a car uses less fuel than you might think, and avoiding unnecessary idling can save you a considerable amount of diesel over time.
Driving at a Consistent Speed
Accelerating and braking sharply leads to higher fuel consumption. For the most economical driving, aim to maintain a consistent and moderate speed where possible. Utilising cruise control on highways can assist you in keeping a steady pace, thereby improving your car’s mileage.
Lightening the Load in the Vehicle
Extra weight means extra work for your engine, resulting in lower mileage. Remove heavy items from your car that you don’t need for your journey. Do a regular check to ensure you’re not carrying around unnecessary objects that can weigh down your vehicle and reduce fuel-efficiency.
As you consider these tips, it’s also vital to reflect on the features of some of the popular diesel cars that offer excellent mileage and other benefits:
|Ground Clearance (mm)
|Hyundai i20 Diesel
|Spacious and ergonomic
|6 airbags, ABS with EBD, Speed sensing auto door lock
|Up to 25.2
|Ford Figo Diesel
|Modern and comfortable
|Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Perimeter alarm
|Up to 25.6
|Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
|Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, ISOFIX child seat mounts
|Up to 28.4
|Aesthetic and functional
|4 airbags, ABS with EBD, Rear parking sensors
|Up to 24.7
|Practical and user-friendly
|Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Keyless entry
|Up to 23.59
These vehicles offer a blend of economy and features that cater to varying buyer preferences. Not only do they provide great mileage, but they also come equipped with features that ensure your comfort, convenience, and safety while on the road.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which 7 seater car gives the highest mileage?
The Maruti Suzuki Ertiga gives the highest mileage among 7 seater cars, with an average mileage of 26.11 kmpl.
Which Indian diesel car has the highest mileage?
The diesel car in India with the highest mileage is the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios, featuring an impressive fuel economy.
Which car brand gives the best mileage?
Maruti Suzuki is the brand known for providing the best mileage, with several models like Alto K10, Celerio, Wagon R, and Swift.
Is diesel better for high mileage?
Yes, diesel is often better for high mileage due to its economical nature at motorway speeds and the higher initial cost offset by fuel savings.
Which car gives 40 mileage?
The Swift is rumored to become the highest mileage car in India, potentially offering 40 kmpl with the expected hybrid engine.